Thursday 6 March 2008

Childhood pleasures



My youngest daughter was in a dance show this week at the Dome in Brighton. It was part of the country's largest schools dance festival. Schools and dance groups from all over the city were invited to take part and most children were responsible for coming up with the routines as well. I sat from start to finish with tears in my eyes as children and teenagers all rose to the occasion and danced their socks off. There was one heart stopping moment when one little boy walked on the stage with the rest of his chums and completely froze, just stopped dead in the centre of stage unable to move. At first we thought that this was intentional and that at some point he would burst into dance and completely surprise us all. But no, as the music continued it dawned on the whole auditorium that he was paralysed with nerves - there must have been a few hundred mums and dads wanting to run on the stage and give him a huge hug.
Little Sister astonished me by her composure. She is a shy little thing but on stage she was transformed. A happy dancing little bird, truly in her element. I think she still couldn't believe that she was using the dressing room that ABBA used when they won the Eurovision contest ("but mummy it must have been that one, there were four mirrors with lights around them and we had our own shower!"). Where do they get the confidence from, it obviously helps if you're doing something you love.



At the weekend I taught her how to play patience, a game I use to love playing when I was little. I wondered if it would have the same pulling power today - it does. Every morning this week I've found her sitting on her bedroom floor with the cards around her, it might also have something to do with the wonderful set of Clarice Bean cards I bought her for being such a little trooper.



There seems to be a wave of childhood nostalgia running through blogland at the moment. Both Jayne and michele have written posts on their childhood toys and have asked for others to do likewise. On Mother's Day I went up into the loft for a while to look for my teddy. He does usually live with Big Sister but I think we had a big tidy up a few months back and he somehow managed to be bundled away - shame on me! Anyway here he is, well loved and well worn. The comfort my teddy use to give me - I use to love his cuddles and so do my children, I think Little Sister invited him to a teddy's picnic on Sunday to make up for his little trip to the attic.



When I was little there was a cabinet opposite my bed that had shelves in the middle which my mother had lined with pink material. I had a big collection of dolls on them (my uncle use to travel a lot and would bring me back a doll from every trip). If I couldn't sleep I would count the dolls over and over again. This doll was my favourite, she looks a bit battered now but I loved her. I wouldn't really get her out and play with her but would imagine her in different stories every night, I couldn't see her face very well in the dark but I knew she was always smiling at me (if you click on her photo below you can see her sweet face).



Today would have been my mother's birthday and it seems apt to be writing this post now. Up in the loft on Sunday I also spent time looking at some photos of my mum and I'm glad to say it wasn't morbid or sad but it was a quiet time filled with happy memories. Talking of birthdays, it was this blog's first birthday a couple of days ago (how could I have got the dates wrong!) and my next post will be offering a giveaway ...

31 comments:

April said...

I know exactly what you mean, my hubby always teases me for crying through all school performances, swimming galas and gymnastics displays! My heart just bursts with love and pride for my little girl.

Love the teddy and dolls xx

Garden Girl said...

Sounds like the children did a grand job.Seeing your bear has reminded me of mine- One Eyed Ted. I still remember sitting in my highchair in my Grannys' kitchen, cuddling him tightly. I need to go and find him!!xx

Emma Herian said...

Hi kim
You lucky mummy, I tried to convince W to enter, but he was not in the MOOD - now he regrets it!!!!
I bet it was really lovely. Happy Blog Birthday, time flies when you are having fun. Talking of fun, Ive worked out wich Lavender provides the best oil! ;-)

Glad to hear your photos brought happy memories, enjoy today if you can.
Emx

Louise said...

Hi Kim, your teddy is lovely, he looks like a Wendy Boston bear? And your doll is beautiful, both having faces to be loved. I am always amazed with how much confidence kids have, although I would have felt so sad for the poor little boy that froze, was he bundled off the stage? I used to always play patience as a kid, on plain old cards though, not lovely Clarice Bean ones, they are great. So nice to hear you were looking through photos of your mum, especially as her birthday was coming up. I often look through photos of mine too, although I do get myself worked up into a bit of a state, although as you say it does provoke very happy memories as well as the sad ones. I can't wait to comment on your giveaway, please hurry with the next post! x

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

A moving post Kim and with much to celebrate... your lovely daughter's confidence and talent and sweet memories of your mother..
Happy Belated Birthday too for your 1st Blog Birthday.. I will raise my mug of tea to Ragged Roses this afternoon. Your blog has brought me so much joy these last few months.. Long may your wonderful words and sublime photos continue!

With love
Michele x
P.s Cicely's card is in the post.
Alas..no.. the Frankincense cream has not worked..but it does smell lovely!

tess said...

I'm glad that looking through old photos brought you happy memories, and now you have lovely proud memories of your girls.
happy blog birthday, and thankyou for your lovely supportive comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post, Kim! ~ hugs, Lynda xox

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

As ever a lovely post, being a Mom is special. As for your Mom, well I felt your sadness here...

Betty said...

I used to do the same thing when my kids were younger. I'm not really a person who cries easily either.
I love your doll and the story that goes with it. I don't have any toys from my childhood. I think that is why I love collecting things now.

Lucy Bloom said...

Hi Kim, Bravo to Little Sister, what an achievement! Your teddy and doll are so cute. Do you know, I don't remember having a teddy in my childhood, until I was about 9 when my mum got me a big toy panda for my birthday. I was most put out as I considered myself too old then for such baby toys!
Lucy x

Country Cottage Chic said...

I love your bear & your doll does have a sweet face! I've added your posting to my Teddy Bear Challenge - the list is growing daily!

Thimbleanna said...

No way! You're just now having your 1st anniversary??? It seems like longer! Ok, now, I want to know how to play patience and where to find those adorable cards!!! Love your teddy -- he should occupy a revered place in your home!

French Knots said...

I love having things from my childhood, they like old photos, evoke such strong and happy memories. My son has my old orange hobby horse on wheels and it takes me right back to being little. I love the feeling of connection through the generations it gives me even though my Mum never met my children.
Thinking of you today. x

Pam said...

Yes, I cry too, even watching other people's children. I sit there thinking how proud their mums and dads must be of them.

Good for Little Sister! and I'm glad you had such nice thoughts about your mother.

Pam said...

PS Happy Bloggiversary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary. Mine is coming up too later this month.

I used to have a doll collection too ~ I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned yours. I don't have any toys/bears from my childhood ~ having two sisters, they were all 'adopted'.

How nice to be able to spend time recalling happy times with your Mum browsing through photographs ~ you must miss her.

Marie x

Pretty Practicals said...

Hi Kim, we have the same bear!!! Sadly mine has been in the wars, you can read about her adventures and traumas on my blog. Well done to your daughter, how brave of her and yes what a great reflection of her upbringing that she has the confidence to shine. Well done to you too!
best wishes, Liz

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Thank you for sharing your happy memories! Your doll is quite lovely (and I spotted those sweet Charlie & Lola cards right off)! Congrats to your daughter! ABBA! Now there's some nostalgia!

Nonnie said...

Well done to Little Sister! You must have been very proud indeed. Takes me back to my days of ballet and dancing in shows. I think I would have been very impressed to have changed in the dressing room used by Abba. Have been listening to my Abba Gold CD a lot this week! Must be the happy mood I'm in. Love your old Ted. I've been meaning to write a post on mine, who still lives in my bedroom. He's yet to be introduced to the new man. That will be the real test, if he likes Ted or not!
Finally, congratulations on a year of blogging! It feels like longer than a year that I have been reading your lovely blog. Looking forward to the next year. x

Casdok said...

I cry watching other peoples kids.

Heidi said...

Hello dear Kim! How fun to watch your DD do so well. I know you must have been so proud of her. I believe that when we are doing something really right for us in life, it helps give us confidence.

I too still have one of my stuffed animals from when I was three. He is a cute little dog that is very loved and worn. He sits on my bed each day to watch over me. He was a special gift from my favorite aunt when I had to have my tonsils out.

Isn't it wonderful to glow in the fond memories of our loved ones.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs ~
Heidi

cd&m said...

Counting dolls huh?
Beats counting sheep.
Well lots of congrats in oreder to your daughter and to you for a blog anniversary.
Your childhood toys are of course a delight and it was so nice to read that the old photographs brought back lovely memories.

Sea Angels said...

Wow Kim I adore the Dome...it's that whole Georgian thing..what a venue.Ah that poor little boy, that would have made me cry :-( I always had red eyes whenever my Kate was doing something, somtimes from crying, somtimes from staying up till 5am sewing a creation of sorts for her....memories.....
The Clarice Bean cards are wonderful where did you get them from please...I would love some.
Have a great weekend Hugs
Lynn xx

Perfectly Lovely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Perfectly Lovely said...

I havent visited you blog for a while and boy have I missed out...

I have just had a catch up and your words and pics are absolutly beautiful as ever.

jen xx

Jennie said...

ohh how strange I have just posted a 'childhood' blog. I am feeling very nostalgic atm.
I am so pleased your little girl had such a fantastic time dancing in the show.
I love Clarice Bean and all Lauren Childs creations!

Gill said...

This year has flown by, happy first Blog anniversary Kim and thankyou for giving us such lovely pictures and words.
Well done to LS for her performance, I remember my daughter on stage when she was dancing, I couldn't believe she was brave enough to do it! They seem to have far more confidence than we did. I also remember a performance at her school when one girl completely froze and stood crying...we all watched, willing her on to get through it, all us Mums were poised ready to go and rescue her! But she overcame the nerves, finished her piece and received a standing ovation! What a boost for her confidence although I doubt she'll ever get on a stage again (well I wouldn't!)
I played patience a lot as a child, it was a nice way to pass time, trouble is now we have so many distractions that it's easy to forget the traditional games and activites.

CIELO said...

Hi.... I just found your beautiful blog--what a pleasure! Your teddy is lovely...

have a nice day

cielo

meggie said...

Love your Teddy & Doll.
You must have lived one of my favourite books as a child, The Surprise Doll. My father let me choose it, & I almost wore it our reading it. It is about a little girl whose father travelled & always brought her a doll home from each country. How I wished that was me!!
Another lovely post.
Hugs

Carol said...

Hi Kim,
It was good reading your post as it did bring back lovely childhhod memories....
Love Ted....I too had a one eyed Ted just like Garden Girl!
Happy Birthday to your lovely Blog...and many many more to come I hope!
Hugs,
Carol x

Raindrops said...

What a lovely post Tricia