Sunday 6 September 2009

There and Back



One of my favourite old card games that we have is an old edition of "There and Back". The cards, resembling the size of railway tickets, and images are wonderful. Conjuring up railway journeys and holidays to various towns, seaside resorts and cities. We spent a lot of time these holidays travelling by train (perhaps my favourite way to travel in this country), days out exploring the new and revisiting the old.



Many happy memories gleaned from simple pursuits.
Days revisiting favourite old towns. A favourite train ride away...



Mapp and Lucia days, pretending that Rye was once again the imaginary Tilling of the stories (oh so easy to do).



Climibing church towers, turning green with dizziness, quickly admiring the beautiful view before quickly, very quickly, clambering down the stairs to terra firma.



But taking in time to spot the pink house from above



And admiring it face to face (this would be my house here I think!).



Days spent walking through enchanted forests..



Entering through gigantic doorways...



Spying magical cobwebs...



Admiring Romany caravans...



Having the distinct feeling you were being watched ...



Viewing the sky through fern patterned eyes...



Sitting on a bench and turning around to see this most handsome creature...



Composing myself and feeling blessed to have him walk round in front of me to say hello...



Pretending, yet again, to be Mrs Bennett, in front of the house filmed in Pride and Prejudice.



Days on the river,,,



Dabbling your toes...



Sunning your arms...



Wanting to take the plunge...



Loving the way the river mirrors the sky...



Seemingly never ending days on the beach. Rockpooling...



Finding beauty and treasure in the close up...



Imagining and daydreaming on the horizon...

Days enjoying things that have been enjoyed by families for decades past ...



Days that make your skin tingle, your freckles appear, your appetite double and your smile permanent...
And now with the summer over, the railway station I shall be visiting most often is Stopathome, but it's been a good journey...

26 comments:

Ticking stripes said...

I have that card game too - I must look it out. Lovely pictures - partiuclarly like the one with the fishing rod. So evocative of lazy summer days...

Susie's country cottage said...

What beautiful photos. I love the ripples in the sand. That Pride and Prejudice house is one I've been wanting to visit for ages ever since I saw it in the film.

{Love, Love, Love} said...

Wow....what lovely photos from some very special days!
Seeing the deer up close like that must have been amazing! x

Simone said...

That looks like a wonderful card game. I love the images too. Well, this has been such a lovely post. I am not sure which is my favourite image. You have summed up your summer break perfectly. I feel a little morose as yet again I failed to get to the British seaside, or have an ice cream or go strawberry picking. Thank you for the pictures. At least I can dream it had been my summer! x

Lisa said...

What a lovely post, as always. A wonderful reminder of your summer days out.
The photos of the dear are amazing.
Lisa x

BALLET NEWS said...

Hello, you have the most gorgeous site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are lovely and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect so thank you for sharing them all and best wishes....

dottycookie said...

Oh, how lovely - you've been having some wonderful days this summer, that's clear to see!

Country Cottage Chic said...

What a wonderful post! I wish I could have come along too but your photos made me feel as if I was *almost* there!

Jayne

Sara said...

Gorgeous post! Love the lion in the forest and the picture cards so so much!

Bumpkin Hill said...

So lovely to have found your blog, what an idyllic post, I wanted to swing over that river :) Catherine x

Dawn said...

Sigh! I loved this post..

Anonymous said...

That lovely card game made me think of Flanders and Swann and The Slow Train!

LissyLou said...

Great card game, love your pics - i love love love Groombridge xxx

Tracy said...

What fun and beauty...Love that pink-washed house...and especially the golden sun-dappled rippled water at the end... Thanks for taking us along :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

julie said...

sounds like a great game, must look it out.

Also sounds like you had some wonderful times over the summer - just the stuff that happy memories are made of.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

What a joy to see the Bennet's house. You're blog is an inspiration to me
xx
julie

Tracy x said...

sounds and looks just about perfect x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

I like old games and have not heard of that one before. It looks interesting! Have you been to the tea room in Rye near the church, they serve the most delicious lemon meringue pie! Well they did the last time I went there and that was about 18 years ago...time flies...
Isabelle x

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Kim. Gorgeous pictures! You live in such a beautiful country. It looks like you've had a great summer!

Louise said...

I've haven't ever come across the card game, the illustrations are great. Wouldn't it be good to set a task of visiting all the places mentioned in a lifetime? Lovely photos Kim, I especially like the fern. I may put faces on the trunks around our garden, such a good idea! With the sweltering heat of today, summer isn't quite over just yet! x

Poppy said...

If you decide not to have the pink house, I am in love with it too, so I could always move in myself if that is ok with you. ;0) I’ve never seen that card game before…but I can see why you like it.

Thanks for taking me along with you…love Lou xxx

Poppy said...

Me again, I’m having a giveaway if you would like to enter Kim!!! xxx

A time to dance said...

what wonderful photos...is that your shapely and hair free leg dangly elegantly out of the boat? mine would scare the fish away...

Heidi said...

This week my DH was talking about all the old games we saw in a museum that he played with as a child. LOL! I know one of my fabovites was the easy bake oven and that is in a museum back in the US now but they are also remaking them now I heard. See all good old things do come back. They stand the test of time in the end.

Can you tour the P&P house?

Hugs ~
Heidi

Rowan said...

What a wonderful selection of photos, that Romany caravan is beautiful. I love Mapp and Lucia and Rye, it's a lovely little town - you seem to have had a wonderful summer.

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Beautiful, thank you!